March 27, April 3, April 10 2017
– Three consecutive Monday evenings from 6 to 9 pm –
Instructor: Clay Harmon
Description: Our modern digital world presents both problems and opportunities for artists. Getting work into an easily-shared digital format is not always as straightforward as one might like. And manipulating, organizing and sharing that digital information once it has been captured can be very challenging.
This class will teach you how to use Adobe’s Lightroom program to collect, organize and share your work digitally. The emphasis will be on simple and straightforward methods for accomplishing this. The first session will cover how to get your work into a digital form and how to store it safely. The second session will cover how to organize, edit and manipulate your work using Adobe Lightroom. The third session will cover ways to easily share your work with online file sharing, photo-sharing services and the basics of creating a personal website.
To most effectively learn these techniques, it will be necessary to have a laptop or computer and a working copy of Adobe Lightroom so that you can immediately put your knowledge to work. Lightroom is available as a one-time purchase or as a subscription based product. The instructor will be working with Lightroom 6.
Session 1: Gathering Data and Making a Plan
* Methods for getting data into digital format
* Scanning using Vuescan
* Using digital cameras and simple light setups for photographing 2D and 3D work.
* Storage planning – finding the right disk drives and forming a reliable no-nonsense backup plan
Session 2: Using Lightroom to Index and Organize Your Work
* Using categories and tags to easily find information
* Using lightroom for photo manipulation and editing and correcting raw scans
Session 3: Sharing Your Work
* Using Lightroom to share digital files – export, email, web sharing, and photo book creation
* Super simple website creation options such as Squarespace, Koken and Github pages (free option)
Students should bring to the class:
• Laptop computer or tablet with a working copy of Lightroom 6.
• Images to work with