Third Fridays – a decade of communion and critique
Exhibition dates: April 5 – May 26, 2018
OPENING RECEPTION: APRIL 5, 2018 from 5:30 – 7:30pm
ASHEVILLE BOOKWORKS • 428 1/2 HAYWOOD RD, WEST ASHEVILLE
In the beginning there was … a loose group of artists who committed to meet regularly with the general goals of review, critique, encouragement, and support. These friends make art – with fiber, papier maché, clay, on paper, bound into small editions or unique artist books taking on everything from personal challenges to global concerns. Inspired by each other and the world around them no material is safe from their employ, no topic is off limits.
Colloquially called the Crit Group – these creative folk have been meeting on the third Friday of each month since 2007. Each session they share new ideas, creative struggles, work in progress, or finished pieces. The format is holistic and democratic: everyone talks, offering thoughts, impressions, suggestions, and references, guiding each other through the many stages of developing work. Naturally, over the years, unbreakable bonds of camaraderie have formed that serve to strengthen their original commitment.
Join us to honor this group of talented folks who call the Asheville area home. You may recognize their work or discover new art to explore. You may recognize their work and feel at home. All of these artists are our neighbors; they generate creative waves throughout this community. The exhibit will include new works, work in progress, as well as pieces from the archives. The exhibition also shares personal statements and bios for each artist.
They are: Lisa Blackburn, Clara Boza, Margaret Couch Cogswell, Laurie Corral, Gwen Diehn, Michelle Francis, Heather Allen Hietala, and Laura Ladendorf
- SECUNDO – an exhibition of work by local artists OPENING reception – June 7 5:30pm – 7:30pm exhibition dates: June 7 through July 28, 2018 An exhibition of works by local artists working in book, print and mixed media. Eleven artists from the Asheville area comprise SECUNDO, a group that meets monthly to discuss, critique and support their creative endeavors. SECUNDO serves as a foundation of support ...
- Drawing Ten Thousand Things
- PICTURING THIS: Prints and books by Karen Kunc
- GRAIN – prints by Asheville Printmakers
- The Life & Times of American Crow
- Let The Good Times Roll
- Almost 40 Years in Purgatory
- The Riso Museum
- The Elegant Statement
- BookOpolis 2017
- Ladies of Letterpress Book Signing and Exhibition
- PrintOcracy: PLAY!
- Colossal Cuts: Steamroller Prints
- It’s About Time: A Workbook for the Working Person
- Tease It to Jesus: A Portfolio of Dolly Parton Prints
- The Wood Engravers’ Network Triennial Exhibition
- Beer City Prints
- Holiday Pop-Up Shop
- 2014 BookOpolis Video
- 2014 BookOpolis Gallery
- Artists in the Archives: A Collection of Card Catalogs
- Ex Libris : Bookplates, An Exhibition of Bookplates
- BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books
- BookOpolis 2012, On-Line Gallery
- Rewriting History – Book & Print Arts Collective Member’s Show
- Brandon Mise, Author of Adventures in Letterpress Printing, Book Signing at ABW
- Sketchbook Project on Tour from NYC to ABW
- Phish Posters Exhibition, Isadora Bullock
- A Holiday Pop-Up Shop!
- PrintOcracy Opening Weekend
- PrintOcracy, A Fresh Print Movement.
- ILSSA Exhibition – July 2013
- Homegrown Alphabets Exhibit
- AFTER YOU, an exhibit of collaborative work
- Southeast Guild of Bookworkers, 1st Annual Exhibit in BW Gallery
- Beer City Prints
- Proceed and Be Bold!