It’s Alive!: Frankenstein, 200 Years
Call for Entries – Book Arts + Print Exhibition
Opening on Friday, August 3, 2018 • Closing – October 26, 2018 with a Costume Party
Information on deadlines and online registration will be announced in early April 2018
Roll out your monsters! Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley’s timeless story, both horrible and heartbreaking, is as fresh today as it was 200 years ago. Over the years and especially the last hundred years, the many faces / facets of Frankenstein and his Monster have shattered and taken on additional meaning.
Mary Shelley was just 18 years old when she wrote the book. She created a creature complex and frightening, clandestinely cobbled and sewn together that awakened not one sentiment but a complex synthesis of awe, terror, compassion and grief. Perhaps the first work of science fiction, the novel stirs critical thinking on nature, humanity, evolution, creative genius and character, science and technology.
BookWorks Gallery invites book artists and printmakers to respond with artistic interpretations of Frankenstein. Send us your artists’ books and prints.
‘It’s Alive’ opens on August 3rd, 2018 in the BookWorks Gallery. The exhibit will close with a Halloween Costume Party on Friday, October 26, 2018. All Monsters Welcome!
Exhibition – All work will be exhibited and remain on view in the gallery from August 3 – October 31. The show is not juried. BookWorks will publish an online gallery once the show is open.
Submissions and Eligibility
It’s Alive: Frankenstein, 200 Years is open to all print and book arts media completed within the past two years. Each artist may submit just one entry. Entries should be submitted online by July 13, 2018, 5pm. Actual works should be dropped off or shipped for receipt at ABW no later than July 20, 2018. Artwork arriving later than July 20, 2018 may not be shown. Please see below for entry instructions.
All work will be exhibited. BookWorks will publish an online gallery once the show is open.
Procedure and links to Entry Process – to come
Entry Fee – $15 limited to one entry per person
INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS: Artists residing outside of the United States are invited and encouraged to enter this exhibition. The exhibition entry fee of $15, paid in US funds, can be done through PayPal during the online submission process.
Space is limited, BookWorks reserves the right to not fully display works greater than 24” in any direction. Please inquire before shipping work if you have specific space requirements.
- BookWorks Gallery reserves the right to decline any accepted artwork upon delivery if the condition or quality is other than represented in the digital entry.
Liability and Responsibility
- Work accepted for It’s Alive is protected by our insurance policy for fire, water damage, and theft. BookWorks is liable to the artist for loss or damage (except for loss resulting from flaws inherent in the artwork) to the full value the artist receives if the artwork had been sold, i.e., 60% of the sale price.
- Handling: Indicate if work may be handled, with care, under supervision of BookWorks staff.
- Please indicate insurance value for work, including NFS (not-for-sale) work. BookWorks carries insurance in case of fire, water, or theft. Asheville BookWorks takes every precaution in handling artwork. Submission of work and signature on the entry form constitutes an agreement on the part of the artist to conditions set forth in this prospectus. The acceptance of an entry in the exhibition further includes permission to photograph work and/or use images for publicity and educational purposes.
- Please indicate a sales price or NFS for each entry. Artists who have sold their work will be issued a check at the end of the exhibition. Sales will be encouraged. Artists receive 60% of sale price, consigned with the BookWorks Gallery.
Delivery of Work – Shipping the actual work
- Deliver works to BookWorks via mail or hand delivery (1 – 5 PM) for receipt at ABW no later than July 20, 2018. Work delivered after Friday, July 20, 2018, may be included in BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books. Artists are responsible for shipping costs, including insurance, with the carrier of their choice to and from Asheville BookWorks. All work must be shipped in a reusable carton and include return packing, with a return shipping label and correct pre-paid postage also included.
- All artwork ships to Asheville BookWorks. All shipping and shipping insurance costs to and from the Gallery are the responsibility of the artist. When packaging work for shipping, please keep in mind the person who will have to repack the work. Please pack with reusable bubble wrap, paper, or cardboard. No styrofoam peanuts.
428 1/2 Haywood Road, Asheville, NC 28806
Return of Work
- Costs for return shipping are the responsibility of the artist.
- Packing materials will be retained by BookWorks for return shipping. BookWorks will not be responsible for damage due to incorrect packing materials or insufficient container when return-shipping artwork as it was originally shipped.
- Entries without sufficient return postage may not be returned. Entries without sufficient return postage may be processed for return AFTER the cost of shipping and a $50.00 handling fee are paid to BookWorks.
- Hand-delivered work not picked up by scheduled dates becomes the property of BookWorks.
- No stamps, cash or checks
- Fed-Ex and UPS offer pre-paid labels and insurance for return shipping and can be included in re-usable packing.
- USPS – no stamps. Visit USPS.com – choose flat rate shipping – generate return shipping label with appropriate size package and desired insurance and tracking. Save label as pdf and forward via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
ONLINE Submission Process – All entries now through Friday, July 13, 2018
Artwork DELIVERY to Asheville BookWorks – All entries Wednesday, July 18 through Friday, July 20, 2018
Opening Reception Friday, August 3, 2018 – 5:30 – 7 PM
Closing – Costume Dance Party Friday, October 26, 2018 – 7 – 9 PM
Close of exhibition Wednesday, October 31, 2018 – 5 PM
Pick-up or Return Shipping November 2, 2018