BookOpolis, a popular artists book exhibition, is held in even-numbered years, complimenting, PrintOcracy, a printmaking exhibition, which is held in the odd-numbered years at Asheville BookWorks.
BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books
Opening on Friday, September 19, 2014 • On view through November 30, 2014
”Art is skill—that is the first meaning of the word.” – Eric Gill
Printmade Artist’s Books: Impression in Hand
BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books asks the artist to consider questions about the printmade artist’s book: How do you create an artist’s book using printmaking techniques? What book structures lend themselves to combinations with printmaking? How do the book structure and the printmaking process interact when making the book art object? What constitutes interactivity? What is a book, and how far can it go before it is no longer a book? How does the user/viewer/reader experience the printmade artist’s book? How does the artist experience the printmade artist’s book? Why would an artist choose to printmake an artist’s book?
BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books features artists’ books made with any one—or more in any combination—original handprint processes, including relief, intaglio, planographic, stencil, and collography printing methods. Exciting because of its exploration of the unknown structurally, the printmade artist’s book explodes or whispers text and image into three-dimensional realms. The book may be one of a kind or one of an edition. Not a portfolio of prints, the printmade artist’s book moves the printed art object off the wall and into the hands of a user/viewer/reader, creating a different experience of both art object and book object.
“Creativity takes courage.” – Henri Matisse
All work will be exhibited for the BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books weekend. The show is not juried. However, after the close of the premier weekend, select works will remain on exhibit at BookWorks from September 21 through November 30, 2014.
Prospectus and Entry Details
To view and download the prospectus, please click on this link: BookOpolis2014-PrintmadeAritst’sBooks
To begin your online entry process, please go to the Call for Entries Page and follow the three-step process for submissions.
BookOpolis 2016: Strange Vehicles & Vexing Gifts
Opening on Friday, September 30, 2016 • On view through November 30, 2016
Johannes Gutenberg got the idea for the printing press while casually watching a wine press during a grape harvest in the fifteenth century. Or did he…?
Strange Vehicles & Vexing Gifts: Creative Breakthroughs and Their Stories
BookOpolis 2016: Strange Vehicles & Vexing Gifts asks the artist questions about imaginative rupture: How long does a “sudden” breakthrough take? What is the process of discovery and development? How does failure contribute to success? How straight or meandering is the path to realization? What happens when an idea born in a non-arts domain becomes the catalyst for an artist’s creative breakthrough? What is the story of your or another creative originator’s breakthrough?
BookOpolis 2016: Strange Vehicles & Vexing Gifts features artists’ books that investigate and narrate the difficulties and rewards of pursuing creative breakthrough. Wide open and wonderfully varied, the artist’s book is the ideal container for exploration of the processes of invention. The artist’s book you submit could be the story of your own authentic experience with creative breakthrough. Or the artist’s book you submit may be the account of another creator’s innovative breakthrough in the arts, sciences, or technology. Or perhaps your artist’s book considers a historically significant breakthrough that changed how we understand something about the world or the world itself. Or your story of invention could be entirely invented. These tales of discovery and innovation, actual or imagined, can be inspiring. They can instill hope for our own eurekas, our own breakthroughs. They can set us off in new directions and begin anew movement towards epiphanic moments of creativity.
“Fortune favors the prepared mind.” –Louis Pasteur
All work will be exhibited for the BookOpolis 2016: Strange Vehicles & Vexing Gifts weekend. The show is not juried. However, after the close of the premier weekend, select works will remain on exhibit at BookWorks from September 30 through November 30, 2016.
Previous BookOpolis Exhibits
- BookOpolis 2012, On-Line Gallery You can now visit the on-line gallery of work representing BookOpolis 2012! Thank you to all the artists who made entries and to all our BookOpolis visitors.
- BOOKOPOLIS 2012 Friday September 21 6-9pm BookOpolis Weekend opens to the public. An estimated 75 artist books from regional, national and international artists will be on display. All entries received are on display over the BookOpolis weekend with a juried selection installed in BookWorks gallery to be on view through November 30. Tana Kellner from the Women’s ...
- BookOpolis 2012 is Spine-Tickling BookOpolis 2012, a Collassal Book Arts Extravaganza. Please download a printable copy of the prospectus or have a hard copy in your hand by mail. Simply e-mail (email@example.com) us your physical mailing address and we’ll post it to you asap. The theme, Editorial Content: Spine-Tickling Artist Books, was chosen by Tatana Kellener. Tana is the 2012 ...
- BookOpolis 2011: Mini Documentaries, Part Two Eagerly awaited mini-documentaries filmed during last year’s BookOpolis featuring an interview with Eileen Wallace, comments by visitors and BookWorks Co-op members and Founder / Director Laurie Corral. LeeAnne Smith of Eagles Way Creative Services produced the two short videos, one highlighting the reception on Friday night and other focusing on Saturday’s events. Enjoy!
- BookOpolis 2011: Mini Documentaries, Part One Eagerly awaited mini-documentaries filmed during last year’s BookOpolis featuring an interview with Eileen Wallace, comments by visitors and BookWorks Co-op members and Founder / Director Laurie Corral. LeeAnne Smith of Eagles Way Creative Services produced the two short videos, one highlighting the reception on Friday night and other focusing on Saturday’s events. Enjoy!
- BookOpolis 2011 And yet again, BookOpolis was an awe-inspiring event of art and people! Over 200 visitors enjoyed this fabulous 2-day event showcasing book arts, posters and prints. A video of this year’s festivities, a mini-doc, will be available for viewing soon. The Annual Purchase Award was presented to Elsi Vssdal-Ellis of EVE Press, Bellingham, WA, for her ...
- 2010 BookOpolis Video Thanks to LeeAnne Smith (EaglesWayProductions.com) for another wonderful video.
- BookOpolis 2010 Weekend Friday, September 24, 2010 Opening Reception, 6 – 9 PM Saturday, September 25, 2010 12 – 5 PM Selected Works on Exhibit through December 10th, 2010 Friday September 24 6-9 pm BookOpolis exhibit opens to the public. We have received 100+ artist books to be on display from across the US as well as Italy, Canada, and Great ...
- BookOpolis 2010: Memory Palaces Memory Palaces A National Exhibition September 24 and 25, 2010, BookOpolis Weekend September 25 – December 10, 2010, BookOpolis / Extended Exhibition The Memory Palace is a general designation for mnemonic techniques that rely on memorized spacial relationships to establish, order and recollect memorial content. The technique was well known to ancient Greeks and Romans who memorized their speeches ...
- Video from the Fifth Annual BookOpolis Video of BookOpolis 2009 by LeeAnne Smith.
- BookOpolis 2009 Images A selection of the wonderful entries into BookOpolis 2009. Photos by Bridget Conn.