BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books
BookOpolis is a biennial exhibition and weekend of events at Asheville BookWorks showcasing artist’s books.
Opening on Friday, September 19, 2014 • On view through November 30, 2014
ONLINE SUBMISSIONS – Due August 29, 2014 • DELIVERY OF ARTWORK – Due September 5, 2014
“Art is skill—that is the first meaning of the word.” – Eric Gill
Printmade Artist’s Books: Impression in Hand
BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books asks the artist to consider questions about the printmade artist’s book: How do you create an artist’s book using printmaking techniques? What book structures lend themselves to combinations with printmaking? How do the book structure and the printmaking process interact when making the book art object? What constitutes interactivity? What is a book, and how far can it go before it is no longer a book? How does the user/viewer/reader experience the printmade artist’s book? How does the artist experience the printmade artist’s book? Why would an artist choose to printmake an artist’s book?
BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books features artists’ books made with any one—or more in any combination—original handprint processes, including relief, intaglio, planographic, stencil, and collography printing methods. Exciting because of its exploration of the unknown structurally, the printmade artist’s book explodes or whispers text and image into three-dimensional realms. The book may be one of a kind or one of an edition. Not a portfolio of prints, the printmade artist’s book moves the printed art object off the wall and into the hands of a user/viewer/reader, creating a different experience of both art object and book object.
“Creativity takes courage.” – Henri Matisse
All work will be exhibited for the BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books weekend. The show is not juried. However, after the close of the premier weekend, select works will remain on exhibit at BookWorks from September 21 through November 30, 2014.
BookWorks will publish an online gallery of selected works from BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books.
Submissions should be entered online no later than August 29, 2014. Please see below for submission instructions. Artwork should arrive at BookWorks no later than September 5, 2014. Artwork arriving later than September 5, 2014, may not be shown.
Name your files as: BO14_firstinitial.lastname.jpg That’s BO14_first initial.lastname.jpg.
All JPGs must be 300 dpi and sized to 7 inches wide or tall in the longest direction.
INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS: Artists residing outside of the United States are invited and encouraged to enter this exhibition. The exhibition entry fee of $20, paid in US funds, can be done through PayPal during the online submission process.
BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books is open to print and book arts media using original, non-digitally printed processes, completed within the past two years. Whatever your subject matter, BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books seeks to showcase works that represent significant exploration of the artist’s creative discovery process.
Laurie Corral, director of Asheville BookWorks, will select a Purchase Award from all the entries shown at BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books. The Purchase Award will become part of Asheville BookWorks Special Collections.
Space is limited, BookWorks reserves the right to not fully display works greater than 18” in any direction. Please inquire before shipping work if you have specific space requirements.
BookWorks Gallery reserves the right to decline any accepted artwork upon delivery if the condition or quality is other than represented in the digital entry.
Liability and Responsibility
- Work accepted for BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books is protected by our insurance policy for fire, water damage, and theft. BookWorks is liable to the artist for loss or damage (except for loss resulting from flaws inherent in the artwork) to the full value the artist would receive from the Gallery if the artwork had been sold, i.e., 60% of the sale price.
- Handling: Indicate if work may be handled, with care, under supervision of BookWorks staff.
- Please indicate insurance value for work, including NFS (not-for-sale) work. BookWorks carries insurance in case of fire, water, or theft. Asheville BookWorks takes every precaution in handling artwork. Submission of work and signature on the entry form constitutes an agreement on the part of the artist to conditions set forth in this prospectus. The acceptance of an entry in the exhibition further includes permission to photograph work and/or use images for publicity and educational purposes.
Please indicate a sales price or NFS for each entry. Artists who have sold their work will be issued a check at the end of the extended exhibition. Sales will be encouraged. Artists will receive 60% of sale price, consigned with the BookWorks Gallery.
Delivery of Work
- Deliver works to BookWorks via mail or hand delivery (1 – 5 PM) between Tuesday, September 2, 2014, and Friday September 5, 2014, only. Work delivered after Friday, September 5, 2014, cannot be included in BookOpolis 2014: Printmade Artist’s Books. Artists are responsible for shipping costs, including insurance, with the carrier of their choice to and from Asheville BookWorks. All work must be shipped in a reusable carton and include return packing, with a return shipping label and correct pre-paid postage also included.
- All artwork ships to Asheville BookWorks. All shipping and shipping insurance costs to and from the Gallery are the responsibility of the artist. When packaging work for shipping, please keep in mind the person who will have to repack the work. Please pack with reusable bubble wrap, paper, or cardboard. No styrofoam peanuts.
428 1/2 Haywood Road
Asheville, NC 28806
Return of Work
- Packing materials will be retained by BookWorks for return shipping. BookWorks will not be responsible for damage due to incorrect packing materials or insufficient container when return-shipping artwork as it was originally shipped.
- Entries without sufficient return postage may not be returned. Entries without sufficient return postage will be processed for return AFTER the cost of shipping and a $50.00 handling fee are paid to BookWorks.
- Hand-delivered work not picked up by scheduled dates becomes the property of BookWorks.
- No stamps, cash or checks
- Fed-Ex and UPS offer pre-paid labels and insurance for return shipping and can be included in re-usable packing.
- USPS – no stamps. Visit USPS.com – choose flat rate shipping – generate return shipping label with appropriate size package and desired insurance and tracking. Save label as pdf and forward via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- ONLINE Submission Process – All entries now through Friday August 29, 2014
- Artists Books DELIVERY to Asheville BookWorks – All entries Tuesday, Sept. 2 – Friday Sept. 5, 2014
- BookOpolis Weekend /All Entries on Display September 19 & 20, 2014
- Opening Reception & Announcement of Awards Friday, September 19, 6 – 9 PM
- Open House at BookWorks, Exhibit & Demos Saturday, September 20, 1 – 5 PM
- Notification of selected books to remain through Nov. 30, 2014 Friday, September 26, 2014
- Pick-up or Return Shipping
- Return of work exhibited on Opening Weekend only Tuesday, September 23 – Friday, September 26, 2014
- Return of Selected Books exhibited through Nov. 2014 Monday, December 1 – Friday, December 5, 2014
Prospectus and Entry Details
To view and download the prospectus as a pdf, please click on this link: BookOpolis2014-Printmade-Aritsts-Books
To begin your online entry process, please go to the Call for Entries Page and follow the three-step process for submissions.